Waider's 10 Rules of City Biking
10 things I learned in my first couple of months cycling in
- Get a helmet. No, really. Sure they look
dorky, but so will you with your face spread across the
- You do not have the right of
- In situations where you have the right of way,
- Buses are evil.
- Wing mirrors are truly
- An ability to stand the bike on its front
wheel by braking suddenly is useful and
- Practice falling off the bike in a controlled
and directed fashion.
- When hand-signalling to turn right, watch for
oncoming traffic attempting to amputate your arm.
- Actually, hand-signalling at all is a bad idea
since it means taking a hand out of reach of the brake
- Acceleration is all. This is why
people use racers and mountain bikes in city traffic rather than
other, perhaps more apparently suitable bikes.